Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet MG/YA Author Sara Stinson

Carpinello's Writing Pages welcomes retired teacher/author Sara Stinson and her series, The Finger Bones.

First, a bit about Sara:

Hello! Hope everyone is doing well. My name is Sara Stinson, and I am a middle-grade to Young Adult author. I started writing when I retired in 2009. I taught school for twenty-five years and continue to substitute for nearby schools. I am married to Donnie Stinson. We have two grown children, one precious Yorkie, Addie, and two cats, Lexie and Amy.

Why did you pick to write for middle-grade to Young Adult?

I chose the Middle-Grade and Young Adult because I have worked with this age group for over twenty-five years. One day I may try an adult book. For now, I enjoy children books. I can let my imagination run wild. I love creating different worlds and characters. Adventure books are exciting! I enjoy watching the children’s eyes brighten as they sink their minds into a great story.

What type of books do you like to read?
 
I was talking to an author about this today. I am an eclectic reader. If the book is good, I’m going to read it! Since I write for the middle-grade and Young Adult, I read many books in this area.  Don’t limit yourself.

When you are not writing, what do you like to do?

I love to read. My family kids me all the time. When I read, I write notes. It’s a habit. My brain is always churning. I love spending time with my family, and my husband and I enjoy fishing!

Tell us about The Finger Bones Series books and how the story came to be.

In my hometown, an elder man named Charlie Porter use to walk to town every day. The trip was over six miles round trip. He was an African American who was born a slave. He died a free man. It was rumored he was between 113 to 122 years old when he died. I wanted him to be one of my ideas for a character. 

I went to the library and started flipping through books.  I came across the word Boney Fingers. I decided to flip the name to Finger Bones. A 122-year-old ghost named Finger Bones became a character in my book. I added three adventurous kids and the stories came to life!

So far, Finger Bones and Wendy and Finger Bones and the Ghost Dog have been published.




Here's a peek at Finger Bones and Wendy:

When ten-year-old Wendy Dee Winkelmann needs to do some serious thinking she likes to chew bubblegum. While sitting on a bench in town reading, she becomes friends with an old man the townspeople call, Finger Bones. Some locals consider him odd and spread rumors about the ghastly man who lives up a dirt road in an old ramshackle cabin. Yet Wendy knows different. She soon discovers that this old man, who walks to town with a burlap bag tied to a stick, has a special job. He sends ghosts to their next destination, and the stick and burlap bag he carries are magical.

Now Wendy chases the lingering spirits, and her two best friends, Claire and Henry, are determined to help her. Soon she finds herself caught up in a devious plan of a dark sinister power, and if it means hurting someone, or worse, it will do whatever is necessary to succeed. It’s all up to Wendy to save Bridgeville before the evil power takes over the town.

When The Bridgeville Clipper announces Finger Bones is dead at 122-years of age, Wendy is not upset. He will be back. Finger Bones and Wendy have unfinished business in this small town.

Have you written any other books?  If so, tell us a bit about them.
 
Yes. I have just published Book One of The Hally Witch of Magic Hollow Series. The name is Forever Changed. A teenage girl named Skyla Hally discovers she has magical powers on the night of her seventeenth birthday. This fantasy has fun creatures and lots of action throughout the book.  

What’s next for your writing?  Are you working on a new story?
 
Yes. I’m researching and planning for the next Finger Bones book. I’m also writing ideas and an outline for Book Two of The Hally Witch books. I also have several ideas written down for books.  Authors are weird like this!

What advice do you have for authors?

My advice is to write every day. Practice may not make perfect, but it will improve your writing skills. When the draft is complete, edit, edit, and edit. When you think you are finished, read it again.  Also, leave the book alone for a few days, or weeks. It helps to take a break and return to it later.

Anything else you want readers to know?
 
I do hope you will join The Finger Bones family on my site! Join the family and read the books. I guarantee the books will bring the kid out in you! It’s for third grade and up.  

Forever Changed is more for seventh grade and up. It’s a fantasy, adventure, and paranormal romance. Please read and enjoy this adventurous magical book. Learn what Cruggles are. Meet the Jiffles and discover what the Box of Rigspul’s purpose is. Like on the cover, read about The Hally Book of Shadows. You may think it’s alive!

Where can readers find you and your books?

Me:

Sara Stinson website
Facebook

My books:

Facebook
Amazon (Finger Bones and Wendy)
Amazon (Finger Bones and the Ghost Dog)
Amazon (Forever Changed)
Createspace
Barnes and Nobles

7 comments:

  1. Great interview and Finger Bones and Wendy sounds like a book right up my alley. I will be on the lookout. Thanks for sharing on KidLitBlopHop this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex. They are fun books for all ages.

      Delete
  2. Great review, and these sound like some fascinating books! Thanks for sharing these with KidLitBlogHop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Cheryl! She is great to have me. Please do checkout the books. I have had third graders all the way up to my seniors (80's) to read them. They enjoy the small town atmosphere and teamwork Wendy and the gang have in their adventures!

      Delete
  3. Kids and ghosts! Can't go wrong there! Thanks for introducing us to another great author through the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about how the author came up with her main character, Finger Bones. Thanks for this great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, finger bones sounds so unique. I love the premise, It will be going on my TBR pile. Thanks for a great interview and for joining us on the Kid Lit Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete