Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Meet YA Christian Author Hannah Lapehn

Carpinello's Writing Pages welcomes YA author Hannah Lapehn and her Christian suspense story The Hands.

First, a bit about Hannah:

Hannah Lapehn grew up in the Midwest and married her college sweetheart. She attended Indiana University, where she graduated with a degree in Communications and Culture. Hannah is a military wife and mother of two young boys, Jackson and Jordan. Her husband was deployed for the second time when The Hands was written. In an effort to distract herself from the separation, she poured her heart into writing which became an overflow of self-expression.

Why did you choose to write books for YA?

I chose YA because I remembered that time vividly. It’s when we are figuring out who we are, and we have the ability to make a lot of mistakes and learn from them.

What types of books do you like to read?

I like to read mystery/suspense and dystopian novels. When someone comes up with a truly unique idea, like The Hunger Games, it really thrills me. It is such an escape to be taken into a completely created world, with only the author to navigate you through.

When you are not writing, what do you like to do?

I like to spend time with my family. I have two young boys that keep me super busy! My favorite pastime is watching movies because I like learning about what motivates the characters and seeing different perspectives.

Tell us about The Hands and how the story came to be.


The Hands was a yearlong project for me. It was my first Christian suspense novel, and I had to take breaks to really gather my thoughts and create a complete story line. I got the idea from a school assembly I attended in high school. In chapter six, there is a scene where a Holocaust survivor comes to speak to Taylor’s high school, and I wrote that scene the way I wish it would have played out for me.

Here's a peek at The Hands:




After sneaking out to a forbidden party, Taylor Donavant is faced with an unusual punishment that sets her on an unexpected path. Shortly after, she receives a supernatural ability that alienates her from her peers, and she has to question why she would be chosen for something so significant. In a spellbinding battle of good versus evil, Taylor struggles to preserve her newfound identity as a dark force lurks close by, watching and waiting for the right moment to manipulate her gift. 

 




What’s next for your writing? Are you working on a new story?

I am working on several new storylines at the moment. I began my next book in January. I plan to write a book a year, always starting in January.

What advice do you have for other authors?

My advice for new authors is to get help. Critical feedback is essential when starting out and although it’s hard to hear, we always need someone with a fresh set of eyes to tell us where our writing needs work.

Anything else you want readers to know?

I wrote this book because I see our culture fascinated with supernatural abilities.  I wanted people, especially young adults, to consider where this power comes from and that it truly only comes from the Lord.

Where can readers find you and your book?

The Hands is on Amazon.

For readers who'd like to join in the conversation, there is a Facebook.
 

4 comments:

  1. I love a good YA novel -- will have to check out! Stopping by from Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Hannah's publishing process and journey. I Thanks so much for another great interview on the Kid Lit Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly, thanks for your interest in The Hands! I appreciate you reading the interview. Please let me know how you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jambo, I'm so glad you enjoyed reading the interview and I hope you can enjoy reading "The Hands" as well! Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete